Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

NOFX - Best God In Show

Good news! After a 2 week hiatus, Atheist Songs rides again.

This song was such a nice surprise last summer. I was leaving the Vans Warped Tour. I was sitting in my car waiting in the long line of cars to get out of the parking lot. It had been a great day. I'd seen not only punk legend Brian Baker (of Minor Threat and Dag Nasty fame) playing guitar with Bad Religion. But, I'd also had the privilege of once again seeing the hilarious and insightful NOFX play- and they had been extra hilarious this year. They'd cracked jokes about the Mormon involvement in the California Prop. 8 issue. They'd poked holes in racial stereotypes by teasing each other about their respective races on stage.

Anyway, I had picked up their album "Coaster" at their booth and so while I sat and waited to get out of the parking lot, I popped it into the CD player and started listening. When this song came on, I was so amused and elated by it. Enjoy.







Best God In Show by NOFX

I've no consideration, zero mutual respect
For billions who suffer from rational thought neglect
I don't wanna waste a sentence, I don't want a convert-sation
That's gonna end in disdain, disbelief and aggravation
And I find it's getting harder to hang out
With grown adults who actually believe
In Santa Claus and Noah's Ark and that their god is the best
My distaste has turned into detest
Who would read a 2000 year old medical journal
Techniques for bloodletting, advice on Trichinosis
Would you navigate the globe with a map of a flat earth
Without DNA testing, would you believe virgin birth
I find it's getting painful to put up
With grown adults who actually believe
In Unicorns and Creation, and god always takes their side
That's when my innocent jabbing turns snide
Thank god for the grammy, thank god for the touchdown
Thank god for blowing up the enemy's sacred ground
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously?
When you've swapped free will for faith, how and pre-destiny
And it's getting agonizing to hang out
With grown adults who actually believe
Mythology and history trump physics and science
My aversion has turned to abhorrence

No comments:

Post a Comment