Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

INXS - Listen Like Thieves

I was driving along in my car yesterday listening to a playlist on my iPod and this song came on. I had a revelation. Since I was 13 years old and in the 8th grade, I'd been wondering what "Listen like thieves" meant. I finally got it. The lines "Everybody's down on their knees, listen like thieves for the answers, but who needs that, when you've got it all in your hands" suddenly congealed in my nearly 38 year old brain... he's singing about how ridiculous and unnecessary prayer is. Thanks Michael, that's beautiful.









Listen Like Thieves

by INXS

On the talk back show
On the radio
At the local bar
In the hot traffic
By the red tail lights

Everybody's down on their knees
Listen like thieves (for the answers)
But who needs that
When it's all in your hands

And we take it down
To the end of town
Where they have control
But they're loosing touch
When the lights go out

You are all you need
You are all you need
(And that's everything)
So don't hesitate
There's no time to waste
You just do it for yourself/So just do it by yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment